Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Key Chain and the Letter




It was Buddy's birthday but I did not greet him first thing in the morning which really pissed him off. Well, pissing him off is really part of the plan. He had no idea that I filed for a 2-days leave so we can celebrate his birthday, and on my end, I want to give myself a break, I think I also deserve that. And I think today is the right time. After a yummy breakfast with Jez I suggested we go home right away so I can sleep well to prepare for that day's activities.

Buddy texted me so early, which is very unusual about him. Indeed, he was pissed.

TEXT 1
Nagtxt na lahat ng tao pro ang pnka mportante sa buhay ko, ewan ko lng...tapos galit k pa sa'kin...Sory na oh!

TEXT2
Hnd k tlga mkklimutan ang araw na 'to...pnakamalungkot...

TEXT3
Sirang-sira na talaga araw k...walang kwntang kaarawan... :-(

After reading those three messages, I decided to text him back.

ME:
Hndi nmn aq galit sau khapon ah..drama lng un.am on my way hom.txt u 1s i aryv.muah!
(no respose from him)

I knew I was so rude. If he only knew how eager I was greeting him and telling him all those inspiring wishes. But I gotta stop myself from doing that. Again, it's not part of the plan. When I arrived home, I texted him with a simple...

ME:
Jst got hom.gotta sleep na,work pa later.txt me wat time ka punta rito para mkapunta tau church.gudnyt!tsup
(no response from him still)

(Goodnight is our greeting when we go to sleep regardless of the time.)

I slept until 3:00am. Still I didn't receive any messages from him when I woke up, so I decided to text him first. It took a few minutes before I got his response. He told me he's not picking me up at home, he so hate traffic, since it was also the feast day of one of the places there. We came up to the plan of just meeting at my Aunt's house-they're celebrating the feast-so we can eat there and proceed to the church, then he can drive me to work. Just the very normal scheme for us.

For that whole afternoon and while we were at my Aunt's house I acted so mean and cold. I wanted him to feel like I really don't care. I asked him to return to me the F07 key chain he borrowed which he was suppose to return last week, but he did not. He acted like trying to pacify himself, afraid he might ruin his own special day.

Everything happened as how they were planned. Around 6:30pm we were already travelling the road to my workplace and there were few drops of rain falling that time. We were just so silent while he was driving, so unusual for us. We arrived earlier than expected-an hour before my shift would start. He was shocked yet surprised for a split second when I said, "Chill tayo. Gusto ko uminom tonight.". With a cute smile on my face. He looked at me and didn't say a word at first, maybe thinking if I am kidding. He then managed to say, "Sure ka? You have to work."

"Yeah I'm not kidding. Medyo malamig so cool mag-inuman. Actually, I'm on leave.", I replied.
"Huh! Hindi mo sinabi sakin.", he only afford to say.

"Naka shorts nga lang ako."

"Yeah, ba't di'ko napansin?"

"Treat ko. Let's go."

For that part of the day, what I planned didn't happen as how I wanted it to be.

Club musics, people around us on their own tables drinking, hearing their laughs and the sound of beer bottles, seeing those familiar lights of the streets, car parked and other party goers still coming, and the two of us talking over a set of SML. I wanted to feel so free that night. That's how I imagined things to be.

But everything changed when he suggested that we go to their place first, so we can also greet two of his cousins who were celebrating their birthdays that same day. I agreed since I haven't visited his Aunt and grandma for almost a month already, I guess.

We arrived there, he had conversation with his cousins. We watched television with his other Aunt, and his other cousins were also their. We were laughing, as if I was part of their family. I was enjoying the moment but the other side of my mind is wondering what's his plan for that night. He's not suppose to ruin what I have already plotted. I wanted to tell him that we need to go, but at the same time I don't want him to feel bad when he was trying to savor the moment with his family during that special day. I just waited for a sign from him.

It was already 11:oopm when we left their place. It was, I think, a good timing since his cousins look so sleepy already. Now we can go back to that place we used to go when we were still not so serious about our lives, when we only know money for party, no real priorities yet. And now is the time to feel that way again, even if only for this night coz the real world would be waiting for us once the sun will rise again.

He's always the club fashionista I so love, he may not have that 'sexy' lean body build.
Unfortunately, he didn't dress up like the way he used to, when we were ready to go. He was only wearing slippers and shorts and the shirt he wore just earlier. Did not even applied perfume, if I didn't do it first. He only brought with him his key and his cap, the one I gave last year as a Christmas gift.

He said we should not go so far since it's already late. It sounded so surprising to me. This is never late for you, how come now it is? We used to start our 'life' around 1:00am, or the worst 4:00am, now you're telling me IT'S LATE? I prefer to just keep my mouth shut, maybe he had something better on his mind that time.

He brought me to a not so big house. There was a wide lawn, Christmas lights on the roof of the house(basically it was dim), tables and chairs were also there, there was also karaoke and a few men we're singing, it was solemn and much more quite than the kind of place I want to go. There was a group of men already drinking . Obviously, it was a small drinking area.

I found out that it was his friend's house, they used to chill their just with other friends, as well. His friend's parents used to sell halo-halo, until all other residents in that area go their just to have some drink. (Instead of the halo-halo, they settled for beer) Later, political personalities also go their just to have some drink, until they have decided to turn it into something that they can earn more. And that's how it started.

The place was undeniably nice. It's really good for those who just want to give themselves a break from their stressful days of work. Sometimes, partying a lot is not a good pay or reward for yourself, not a good comfort zone for a stressful lifestyle. But despite the appreciation, I still disagreed with him. The aura of the place just didn't suit my mood for that night. But what else can I do, a bottle of beer has been served and opened. OK. I'll just try entertain myself. It's not bad after all. I don't believe the place will hinder us from doing the same thing we want to do to that place I want to go.

Yes, indeed. We really had fun, we had conversation and we talked to each other like we're just close friends. Second bottle, we're both tipsy and his friend who owned that place arrived. He introduced me to him, three of us had conversation but basically it's only the two of them talking about those people I'm sure I haven't encountered my whole life. We finished that second bottle, I suggested we go home since it was already past 12:oomn.

I can't remember how I managed to get in his room. Both of us we're already sober. We lied down, he turned off the light and we were suppose to go to sleep then. But before I go on dreaming, with all my might I stood up and grabbed my bag. I gave him something, that Ferrari 2007 key chain he always wanted to add in his collection but can't buy one coz whenever he does, it's sold out all the time. He borrowed mine, he so like it, and even begged for me to give it to him. But I did not coz it's really my plan to buy him a new one (i owe my thanks to Randy for the F07).

Though I did not see the expression in his eyes, but from the sound of his voice, I can tell he was really glad having it and the simple celebration we had for his birthday. I then gave him the letter I wrote just that day before I went to sleep after my shift.

"I'll just read it tomorrow.", he said.

"Happy Birthday 'geng. It was really my intention not to greet you, to piss you. My plan. But this day is for you."

"Aaahh!! Kainis ka talaga. Thanks dude!"


He then hugged me so tight and gave that very sweet kiss. "I love you dude!", he whispered. Those were the last words I heard from him before I fell into deep sleep.



*I was suppose to prepare something bigger-a surprise birthday party. But sadly, I was so broke that time so I settled for the simplest yet still memorable-I hope it was. *_*

No comments: